Strawberry Rhubarb Bars are the epitome of summer dessert! A buttery shortbread base with tangy rhubarb and juicy strawberries on top!
It’s that time of year when two of my favorite things align– summer vacation and rhubarb season!
Because of my neck surgery, I haven’t been able to do any baking for weeks.
But, I’m slowly gaining some of my energy back, and summer break officially began this week, so it seemed fitting to celebrate by baking up a batch of these delicious Strawberry Rhubarb Bars!
How to Make Strawberry Rhubarb Bars
You guys, these bars could not be more simple to make, and only take a few basic ingredients.
The Shortbread Crust for Strawberry Rhubarb Bars
The crust takes literally three ingredients: cold butter, flour, and sugar.
Just work them together using a pastry cutter, or a food processor and then press firmly into the bottom of an 8″x8″ baking pan that has been lined with parchment paper and sprayed with cooking spray.
Prebake the crust at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.
The Filling for Strawberry Rhubarb Bars
The filling is a combination of diced fresh rhubarb and strawberries mixed with sugar, eggs, flour, and salt.
Pour it over the hot crust, and bake for approximately 45 more minutes.
The combo of the red strawberries on red/green rhubarb on top is so pretty!
Once the bars are completely cooled, remove them from the baking pan using the edges of the parchment paper, and cut them into squares. You can decide if you’d prefer to cut them into 9 or 12 bars.
Sift lightly with powdered sugar right before serving.
See, I told you they were easy!
They make a perfect afternoon snack or an easy dessert after a summer supper.
Strawberry Rhubarb Bars
For the Crust:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter chilled
For the Filling:
- 1 ¼ cup fresh rhubarb diced
- ¾ cup fresh strawberries diced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
For the Top:
- powdered sugar sifted
- Preheat your oven to 350°. Line the bottom of an 8×8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper, letting it extend over the sides of pan, so you will be able to lift out the entire dessert later for cutting.
Make the Crust:
- Place the flour, granulated sugar and butter into a large bowl. Use a pastry cutter to work the mixture together until full incorporated. (You could use a food processor for this step if you prefer.)
- Pour the crumb mixture into prepared baking pan. Press the crumbs down firmly and evenly to form the crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes until slighty golden. Remove from oven.
Make the Filling:
- While crust is in the oven, make the filling by mixing the eggs, granulated sugar, flour and salt together in a medium bowl.Next, gently stir in diced strawberries and rhubarb until incoprorated.
- Pour filling on top of the hot crust, and smooth with a spatula until even distributued. Return bars to the oven and bake for another 40-45 minutes.
- When bars are done, allow bars to cool completely in the pan before using the parchment paper to gently lift entire dessert out onto a cutting board.
- Cut the bars into 12 (or 9!) squares and sift with powdered sguar before serving.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be viewed as an estimate. Ingredients can vary and The House on Silverado makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information
More Rhubarb Recipes
If you love rhubarb as much as we do around here, you may want to check out some of my other favorite ways to use it:
Happy Rhubarb Season,
Let’s stay in touch! You can subscribe to The House on Silverado, and follow on social media, so you won’t miss a thing!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Thank you for reading and supporting my blog.