This Rhubarb Almond Cake is the latest collaboration between me and my rapidly producing rhubarb patch. It’s that time of year when I can hardly keep up with all the delicious spring stalks growing in my yard.
I’m not complaining one bit though, because rhubarb reminds me of home, and generations of bakers in my family who used their homegrown rhubarb in the most delicious desserts that take me back to my childhood. Many of those family recipes are still my absolute favorite ways to use my rhubarb, but the amount of rhubarb that is coming out of our patch right now is inspiring me to create some new recipes as well.
This Rhubarb Almond Cake is the latest addition to my rhubarb repertoire. This light and fluffy snack cake has a rich almond flavor that combines nicely with the tart rhubarb. The almonds and raw sugar make the perfect, slightly crisp topping.
How to Make Rhubarb Almond Cake
Four or five good-sized rhubarb stalks, and some basic baking staples are all you need to whip up this delicious cake that’s perfect for a light, spring dessert, or with a cup of coffee or tea for an afternoon snack break.
Be sure to cream the butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes with your mixture before adding the eggs, one at a time, and mixing again. This incorporates air into the batter which is important for that light and fluffy texture we want.
Finally, scatter the chopped rhubarb over the top of the batter, followed by the sliced almonds and raw Turbinado sugar. The raw sugar sweetens up the tart rhubarb just a bit, and also forms a slightly crisp layer across the very top. So good.
You won’t be disappointed with this cake, friends. It’s easy to put together and tastes heavenly.
- Deliver one to your helpful neighbor.
- Mother’s Day is coming up–I bet Mom would love this!
- Bake one to enjoy with your lazy Sunday morning coffee…. the possibilities are endless.
- 1½ cups rhubarb roughly chopped
- 10 TBSP butter softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup Half & Half or whole milk
- 1½ tsp pure almond extract
- 4 TBSP sliced almonds
- 3 TBSP raw Turbninado sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray, and place a circle of parchment paper in the bottom.
- Cream the butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy, for 2-3 minutes. This incorporates air into the batter, and will help the cake bake up light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating between each addition until they are fully mixed in.
- Add the flour, baking powder, half and half, and almond extract. Mix until combined.
- Spread the batter evenly into your prepared pan.
- Scatter the chopped rhubarb over the top of the cake, followed by the almonds and then finally the raw sugar.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes, until set in the middle, and golden on top. Let cool for about 10 minutes before carefully removing from the pan. Finish cooling on a wire rack.
Want More Rhubarb Recipes?
Happy Rhubarb Season,
Let’s stay in touch! You can subscribe to The House on Silverado, and follow on social media, so you won’t miss a thing!
This post contains affiliate links.