This easy Homemade Tomato Soup is a copycat of my favorite soup from Panera. It’s so simple, you can make it at home, saving money and time.
Tomato soup is one of my favorite comfort foods. Especially when you pair it with a grilled cheese sandwich.
However, I have to specify that it must be good tomato soup. Not, let me repeat, NOT the stuff from a can. I cannot handle canned tomato soup. Nope.
I guess technically, this soup is “canned”, because it uses canned tomatoes, BUT it is night and day different from premade canned tomato soup.
Even better, it reminds me of the Creamy Tomato Soup from Panera, which is one of my faves!
It comes together easily, using mostly ingredients that you probably have on hand. Really, guys, it’s not that much harder than opening up a can of Campbell’s. Trust me, you’ll be so happy you gave it a try.
How to Make Easy Homemade Tomato Soup like Panera
Sautee some onion and garlic in a little oil. Add two large cans of crushed tomatoes. Simmer. Add in some half & half (or cream), and spices. Blend until there are no large chunks. Stir in some parmesan cheese. Done.
This soup is even one notch better with some homemade buttery croutons on top!
Easy Homemade Tomato Soup [Panera Copycat]
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 28-oz cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 TBSP sugar
- ¼ cup half & half or heavy cream
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup paremesan cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a stock pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add onion and cook, stirring as needed, until translucent.
- Add tomatoes (do not drain), stock, and sugar. Bring to a low simmer. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add the half & half, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes and salt/pepper.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. You can also place into a regular blender, being careful since soup will be very hot.
- Stir in parmesan cheese and serve topped with buttery croutons.
There’s a lot going on in the world right now, friends. Easy dinners that are comforting and nourishing are one way we can take care of ourselves and our families.
PS. I’d be so grateful if you’d follow me on social media and subscribe via email, so you don’t miss a thing. 💜
This post contains affiliate links.