This easy breakfast pizza recipe is a copycat of our regionally famous Casey’s breakfast pizza. It’s perfect for both a lazy weekend at home, or a make ahead, grab ‘n’ go breakfast from the freezer.
The most well-known breakfast pizza around here originates from an Iowa chain of convenience stores– Casey’s General Stores. Casey’s is known for all kinds of pizzas, but their breakfast pizza is really something special. The secret to making your easy breakfast pizza at home taste like a copycat of Casey’s, is the cheesey sauce!
The rest of the breakfast pizza is pretty standard–sausage or bacon (or peppers and onions for their veggie version), scrambled eggs, and cheese. Add the special cheesy sauce underneath it all, and now you have a breakfast pizza that is worthy of being called a Casey’s copycat. 🍕
Casey’s Copycat Easy Breakfast Pizza Recipe
Begin by fully cooking your choice of topping–bacon, breakfast sausage, or veggies (Casey’s uses peppers and onions).
Scramble four eggs and season to your liking. Set aside, and then begin making the amazing cheese sauce.
The Cheese Sauce
The cheese sauce is just butter, flour and salt mixed together and cooked until it thickens. Then, add the milk and cheese and stir until smooth and creamy.
You can use any kind of pizza crust you prefer– that’s part of what makes this so easy. And, you can make a full-sized pizza or mini versions using this same recipe.
Use a dough from a bag or a tube, a pre-made ready-to-use crust, a homemade dough, or even naan bread, which is my “go-to”. I keep a package of THESE mini naan breads in my freezer, which makes it super easy to put together individual pizzas, or garlic breads, or even various appetizers, like my Roasted Tomato Flatbreads.
Just be sure to follow the package directions for whatever crust you choose, as baking times will vary.
Slather that cheese sauce onto the crust generously. This not only gives your breakfast pizza extra flavor, but a great texture also, so it’s not dry and hard.
Then, layer on the eggs, bacon (or topping of choice) and cheese. The cheese is flexible, too. Use cheddar, or mozzarella or a combination of both.
Bake until the pizzas are golden and melty. Follow the package directions on whatever crust you selected, for the time and oven temperature.
Easy Breakfast Pizza (Copycat Casey’s Recipe)
For the cheese sauce:
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 2 TBSP flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheese cheddar or mozzarella
- ¼ tsp salt
For the PIzza:
- 1 14-inch pizza crust or 6 mini crusts I used mini naan breads
- 3/4 cup cheese sauce (you may have some left over–great over cooked veggies!)
- 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbed OR 1/3 lb cooked breakfast sausage (or a combo of both)
- 4 eggs cooked and scrambled seasoned with salt & pepper
- 1 cup cheese cheddar or mozzarella or a combo of both
For the Cheese Sauce:
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and salt until a paste forms. Slowly add milk; cook and stir until fully incorporated with no lumps, about 2 minutes.
- Add cheese, stir until smooth, and cook until melted, 1 to 2 minutes.
For the Pizza:
- Prepare crust as directed on package. Any pizza crust will work for this– a ready-to-use pizza dough in a bag or can, a pre-cooked pizza crust, or naan bread. I always keep a package of mini naan bread from Costco in my freezer, so that is often my crust of choice.
- Spread ½ to ¾ cup of the cheese sauce across the pizza dough. This acts as the pizza sauce.
- Sprinkle the cooked and crumbled bacon and/or sausage on top of the cheese sauce.
- Evenly spread the cooked and seasoned scrambled eggs across the pizza(s).
- Top with 1 cup of mozzarella or cheddar cheese, or a combo of both.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and and the crust is golden-brown. Times will vary depending on type of crust you use.
- Let the pizza cool for 5 minutes; this gives the cheese sauce time to set and prevent it from oozing out.
- You can prepare the cheese sauce and toppings the night before, making this pizza quick and easy to put together and bake the next morning.
- Cooked pizza slices or mini pizzas can be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and then placed in a freezer bag. Store in the freezer for up to two months for a grab ‘n’ go breakfast that can be warmed in the microwave for a few seconds.
Serve your easy copycat Casey’s breakfast pizza with a glass of OJ, and you will have the best easy breakfast! Since you saved so much time making this easy pizza recipe, you might even have time for fresh squeezed! 🍊
Shop the Post (click pics for info)
This post contains affiliate links.