If you want something pumpkin-y, but are in the mood for something just a little bit “extra”, these Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirl Muffins are for you.
These muffins are super moist because they use a whole can of pure pumpkin puree. That’s right, not lettin’ any go to waste. Just make sure you get the pumpkin puree and not the pumpkin pie filling, because we want to add our own spices into this, and the pumpkin pie filling comes pre-flavored and sweetened.
And then, on top of that moist pumpkin-y base, we are adding in a thick, rich swirl of cheesecake. I wasn’t joking when I said these muffins are extra.
Bonus, I got 18 nice-sized muffins from this recipe, so it’s enough to share. If they last long enough to give any away, that is. 🤪
How to Make Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirl Muffins
Mix Up the Muffins
Begin by whisking together the dry ingredients: flour, pumpkin spice, baking soda and salt.
Then, in your mixing bowl, beat in the eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Slowly incorporate it into the flour mixture, until there are no lumps.
I used my two favorites here, Watkins Baking Vanilla, and Dak’s Pumpkin Spice. I almost forgot and got out the regular Tones pumpkin pie spice, before I remembered I had a bottle of Dak’s in the cupboard.
Mix Up the Cheesecake Batter
In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese with the sugar, egg yolk and vanilla extract, and beat until smooth.
Look at that creamy deliciousness. That’s going to make these already incredible pumpkin muffins into magic...
I bought these fun little plaid muffin liners at Hobby Lobby.
Insert the liners into your muffin tins, and fill them about 3/4 full. I got 18 muffins from this recipe.
I always use my cookie dough scoop for filling my muffin cups, because it makes it so easy to get the batter into the cups without making a drippy mess. Plus, it helps make sure each cup is evenly filled.
Next, top each muffin with about 1 tablespoon of cheesecake mixture and use a toothpick to swirl it into the batter. Don’t be afraid to push the toothpick and cream cheese down into the muffin batter, to really get that swirl infiltrated into the top layer.
Bake muffins at 375 defrees for about 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Be careful not to overbake. You don’t want to dry them out.
Look at those beautiful swirls!
Pumpkin and cheesecake art. Yes, that’s a real thing.
Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirl Muffins
For the Muffins:
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 TBSP pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 15 oz can pure pumpkin puree
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract Watkins is my favorite!
For the Cheesecake Swirl:
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 large egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place paper baking cups into muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, pumpkin spice, baking soda and salt until well combined. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat together pumpkin, sugar and brown sugar.
- Beat in the eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Slowly add in the flour mixture, until there are no lumps, but being careful not to overmix. Fill muffin tins 3/4 full.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add in sugar, egg yolk and vanilla extract, and beat until creamy.
- Top each muffin with about 1 tablespoon of the cheesecake mixture, and use a toothpick to swirl it into the batter.
- Bake muffins for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Store these in a sealed container in the fridge. They can be eaten at room temp, or still chilled.
Because of the cheesecake swirl, you’ll want to keep these in a sealed container in the fridge for up to several days.
I like to set them out on the counter for just a little bit before enjoying. I think they taste best when they are still just slightly chilled, but not cold.
These are excellent for your coffee break, an after-school snack for the kiddos, as a brunch item, or as part of your Thanksgiving feast. You just can’t go wrong with Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirl Muffins. 😃
If you’re looking for even more pumpkin goodies, give my Pumpkin Bread with 3 Topping Options a try!
This post contains affiliate links.