My husband and I love to cook, but this fall, with both of us dealing with Coronavirus chaos in our jobs (me in a school, and he at the hospital), we needed a helping-hand to keep us afloat for awhile.
Hello Fresh Meal Delivery Kits came to the rescue.
One thing my hubs and I enjoy doing after work is opening a bottle of wine, turning on some music, and preparing a meal together as we catch-up about our day.
Hello Fresh allows us to still enjoy delicious, yet easy-to-make meals together in the evenings, without the extra work of planning and shopping for ingredients.
How It Works
Once a week, on a day selected by us, our big green Hello Fresh box gets left on our porch. It reliably comes about the same time each week, like clockwork.
Inside the box, in between numerous ice packs, are all the ingredients needed to make 3 meals, for 2 people.
Each kit is organized inside brown bags clearly labled by recipe, and ready to remove from the box and pop into your fridge.
There is also a beautiful recipe card for each meal, with pictures and step-by-step instructions.
I love how all the ingredients are premeasured, making it faster to put together your meal, with less clean up, too. They are real ingredients, not pre-made or artificial.
What I Am Loving About Hello Fresh
- Less planning and fewer trips to the grocery store during the week (with Covid, this is an extra bonus right now!)
- Still allows us to pour a glass of wine and enjoy cooking together.
- Less goes to waste, because the kits contain the exact ingredients for two meals.
- The kits are real food with real ingredients. They are not frozen meals or “heat & eat”. For example, they include the potatoes, and you still boil and mash them for real, home-cooked mashed potatoes, not pre-made or dehydrated stuff. In the end, you get a restaurant quality meal that you made easily yourself.
- Most meals come together in 40 minutes or less.
- The recipe cards have inspired new ideas for recipes I want to create on my own, once I have more time for cooking again!
- It helps us avoid take-out on busy nights, knowing we already have all the ingredients in the fridge to make dinner easily.
- Most meals are fairly healthful, and definitely more nutritious than a fast food option.
- Hello Fresh has a wide variety of meals to choose from each week. Every week there are meat/potato/veg options, pastas, sandwiches/burgers, international cuisine options, and even vegetarian and gluten-free choices. We have never had trouble finding three choices per week that sound good. Most weeks, it’s hard to narrow down to three even!
- You can skip a week anytime you choose. Your meal choices, or your “skip” option, are due a few days before shipment (for our Tuesday delivery, our deadline is Thursday evening). If you don’t remember to choose, you get 3 pre-selected options, but I have the Hello Fresh app on my phone and it sends me reminders to make sure I don’t miss the deadline.
- Three meals per week is the minimum order, but you can add in as many more per week as you like.
- With every four boxes shipped, you earn “bonuses”, such as choice of a free dessert, or an upgraded meal.
- It makes a great gift! We gave a subscription of a few weeks of meals to my son & his girlfriend, because they really enjoy cooking together too, and a Hello Fresh subscription is both food and a fun activity rolled into one! Especially during COVID, when some people may not be going out to restaurants as much, so a restaurant gift card may not be a practical gift idea.
- It’s fun!
Meat, Veggies, Carb
Many meal options follow the meat+veg+carb formula, although there is a lot of variety. There are always pork, beef, chicken, and seafood options, or even vegetarian and gluten-free choices.
Hello Fresh offers some great burger choices, too. We’ve had traditional all beef burgers, but also some really great pork and chicken burgers! We’ve really enjoyed some of the fun toppings and sauces also.
I doubt that we will continue with Hello Fresh forever, because we do love to cook our own original recipes, as well as our family favorites.
But with 3 Hello Fresh meals per week right, we still have 4 nights to make something else, make a family meal when the “kids” are available, or even just have popcorn with wine smoothies, or a charcuterie tray for dinner that we sometimes do when we are really tired.
But for now, this is working out to be great way to unwind by spending some time in the kitchen, yet removing some of the planning and shopping burden for awhile.
How You Can Try It
You can cancel at anytime, or skip shipments whenever you choose. There are no contracts or long-term commitments, which inspired me to give it a try, since there really wan’t anything to lose.
Have you tried any of the other home delivery meal kits out there? I’d love to know how they compare to Hello Fresh!