This incredible Double Chocolate Zucchini cake is for you if:
- You have an abundance of garden zucchini right now to use up
- You need a way to sneak more veggies into your children’s diet
- You love chocolate cake (obviously the best reason to make it!)
You (nor your kids) will never notice that this cake has zucchini in it. It disappears into the cake without a sign that is was ever there, other than to give the cake an amazing moist and dense texture, like any truly brilliant chocolate cake should have. Trust me on this one, peeps.
Let’s Eat Cake!
Here’s everything you need besides the zucchini. If you’ve got a garden, chances are you have an abundance right now, but they are readily available at the grocery store or farmers market, too.
Watkins Baking Vanilla is my favorite. The flavor does not disappear during baking like many other vanilla extracts.
After all your dry ingredients are incorporated with your wet ones, gently mix in your shredded zucchini.
A Bundt pan makes this cake so pretty, but you can also put it in a 9×13 pan if you prefer. Whichever you use, just be sure to spray the bottom and sides well with a non-stick spray–especially if you’re using the Bundt pan, because you want it to slide out easily.
The Frosting…more chocolate!
In a medium-sized sauce pan over low heat, warm the cream and then stir in the chocolate chips. I used 1 cup semi-sweet chips, and 1/4 cup espresso chips, which gave the frosting an irresistible mocha flavor! You can use all semi-sweet or milk, or a mixture of whatever you like.
Stir continually until chips are melted and frosting is silky-smooth and glossy.
Check on your cake…
At the end of the first 45 minutes of baking, test your cake to see if a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If not, continue baking in 5-minute increments until it’s done. You don’t want to over bake it and dry it out. That would be sad.
Let the cake cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before gently turning it out onto your cake plate. If you greased your pan well, it should slide right out!
Using a large spoon, gently drizzle the frosting on the top of the cake, allowing it to drip down into the middle and the sides.
Sprinkle the mini chips on top to make it pretty and to boost the chocolate factor even more! 😜
Are you kidding me? Who could resist this?
I mean, really….
Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake for everyone!
Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake
For the Cake:
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ¾ cup butter softened
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk* see note below about substitution
- 3 cups zucchini shredded
- 2½ cup flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder I used dark, but you can use regular if you choose
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
For the Frosting:
- 1¼ cups chocolate chips I used a mixture of semi-sweet and espresso flavored
- 1/2 cup heavy cream can use half/half or whole milk if that's what you have on hand
- 2 tbsp mini chocolate chips for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12 cup bundt pan with nonstick baking spray.
- Beat the butter and sugars until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat again.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk until everything is incorporated. Mix in the zucchini and chocolate chips by hand, or on low speed of mixer.
- Pour batter into prepared Bundt pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out mostly clean. Remove from oven, and cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then flip it out onto a plate and cool completely.
- Place the chocolate chips and heavy cream or milk in a medium-sized pot. Heat on low, stirring until melted and creamy.
- Let frosting cool just slightly, then spoon over the top of the cake, allowing it to drizzle down the sides and into the middle. Sprinkle the top with mini chocolate chips.
- This cake is delicious served warm, or room temp.
- Can be stored in a tightly sealed container on the countertop for a couple of days, but should be moved to fridge for a few more days of storage. Microwave for a few seconds to warm when chilled.
Your family will be so happy if you bake this cake for them. It’s easy, chocolatey, contains secret veggies and is soooo good. What are waiting for? It’s time for cake!
PS. I’d love it if you subscribe to my blog by entering your email in the box at the top of the page. That way you won’t miss a thing!
Also, you can follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram by using the social media buttons in the top right corner. 💜
This post contains affiliate links.