Yesterday, I shared with you my freezer breakfast sandwiches, using two-ingredient dough bagels. I love having those on hand to grab and go on busy workday mornings. Another thing I like to prepare in large batches and keep in my freezer is Easy Energy Bites.
Like I mentioned yesterday, the idea of food first thing in the morning doesn’t usually appeal to me. But, I have vitamins that I like to take in the morning, and they seem to settle better if I have a bit of something in my stomach first. These little bites fit the bill perfectly for that. But, the best things about them is that they are darn delicious, easy to make, and portable. These are perfect if you have littles at home, too.
Hy-Vee sells a version of these in their health market. They taste like Monster Cookies! I bought them a couple of times and loved them, BUT they are pricey. After looking at the label, I knew I could make these myself for a fraction of the cost. So now, I whip up a big batch on a weekend, and store them in the freezer. On Sunday night, I take a few out and place them in the fridge, so they are ready to eat each morning. However, on days that I’ve forgotten to do that, they defrost nicely with about 10 seconds in the microwave.
Make your own energy bites:
You guys, it’s so easy! There really is no need to waste your hard-earned money on buying these.
Try customizing these to your liking. They are so versatile. The standard recipe below calls for mini chocolate chips, but in this batch I used some espresso flavored chocolate chips I found at the grocery store. The chips were larger, so I just gave them a rough chop before mixing them in.
The recipe also calls for a scoop of your favorite protein powder. I usually opt for a vanilla flavored one, but in this batch I used a mocha espresso powder that I love, and it paired nicely with the espresso chocolate chips. The possibilities are endless. Mix up your choices to keep them interesting, or to accommodate your family’s specific tastes.
Easy Energy Bites
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup peanut butter creamy or crunchy, your preference
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup mini m&ms
- 1 scoop of your favorite protein powder
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. 2. Shape into balls, about 1" in size. I like to use a cookie scoop to get them uniformly sized.3. Store in refrigerator. Or, place in a freezer bag or other air-tight container and store in freezer for several weeks. I take out enough for a work week on Sunday nights, and thaw in fridge, so they are ready to grab and go each morning. You can also warm individually for about 10 seconds in the microwave to thaw. 4. These bites can be customized to your liking easily. Try adding nuts, dried fruit, or different flavors of chocolate chips.
Wishing you all a safe and healthy start to the school year,
ALOHA Organic Vanilla Plant Based Keto Friendly Protein Powder (comes in chocolate too, which is also delicious!)
This cold brew flavor is the one I’m using for my shakes right now. It’s sooooo good and would also be delicious in these energy bites!
This post may contain affiliate links.